See a day in the life of Eastsound
New Video From Orcas Online: Orcas Online | What We Do… Its a lot.
PEOPLE TO WATCH: Stephen Baker
- Panel discussion: Running a freelance or small consulting businessThursday, November 7, 12 – 1:30 p.m., Orcas Island Library — from Mickey von Dassow for Economic Development Council — Learn to navigate challenges faced by freelancers and similar small businesses at a panel discussion on November 7 at the Orcas Island Library from 12 to 1:30 p.m. This event ... read more
- Orcas Today: October 18th-20thLadies TennisMonday/Wednesday/Friday from 11:30am-1:30pm at the Buck Park CourtsThis event is free and open to ladies ages 18 and up. Public Meeting: Rotary ClubOctober 18th from 5:00-6:00pm at the Eastsound Fire StationMeets regularly on Fridays. Karaoke at the Lower TavernFridays at 9:30pmCome sing your heart out! Open Intermediate TennisWednesdays/Saturdays at ... read more
- Epic Units: Part 1For a Real-Time Strategy player, there are few things more satisfying than the comprehensive act of causing immense digital destruction in a short amount of time. Traditionally this is accomplished utilizing super weapons like nuclear missiles or orbital bombardment, but starting in the mid-90s game developers provided players with a ... read more
- Hello world!Welcome to WordPress. This is your first post. Edit or delete it, then start writing! ... read more
- Built with a super power!
- AHHHHH CHOOOOOO!!!!!!Loud Boss Guy sneezes even louder than his typical full attention demanding volume!! AHHHH CHOOOOOOOO!!!!! Young HotShot has been sick but extremely recently. It’s only Wednesday and Monday Young Hot-Shot had a cold that he came in and shared with us for a very short while – also bought me ... read more
- “What’s this kind of board called?”We have these “J Peg” or “J” hooks on our retail wall… Loud Boss Guy says, “What’s this board called? It has a special name.” I’m like, “I don’t know – jpeg board? Let me google it.” Ok. Now knowing that jpeg is a file type I search it anyway. ... read more
- When BitCoin Goes Bust*If you were thinking and breathing in 2017/18 you probably heard of BitCoin**. The illusive cryptocurrency is shrouded in mystery for any number of lay people, but with a whispering promise of a future paved in gold for anyone who invests. Not quite. BitCoin is at its core just another ... read more
- The Abdication of TraditionBeing a very discombobulated man in Milwaukee, Christopher Sholes was strange. He often wore trousers inches too short for his legs. Working on and off in print journalism throughout his life, with some time away after accepting a position as Collector of the Port of Milwaukee to which he was ... read more
- Technology: and the fall of the gerontocracyIt’s easy to sit back in ones rocking chair, knitting needles in hand, with the radio blasting in the background while viciously condemning the technology of the new age. A familiar and vivid image for some, completely unfounded for others. For years the gerontocracy has been sounding the alarm of ... read more
- Bahá’í BeliefsOver the past few weeks, I have been reading about the Bahá’í Faith. I find it to be a very compelling religion due to the core messages of the Faith and the principals taught by its leaders. I look forward to learning much more about it. The following is a brief ... read more
- STOP SPENDING MONEY!!!
- He always buys these things off-island!! Conchas. How do I make them??My husband is Mexican and every time we go off-island we return with shopping bags full of Mexican Bread “Pan”. One particular type I looked at, noticed they get gobbled quickly by all, and decided to make them… But how… Let’s google it! “Conchas Recipe Video” Now there were ... read more
- Un Chien AndalouRecently I have been reading about “les années folles” also known as the Golden Years. It refers mostly to 1920’s France and the rise of the Modernism, Surrealism, and Cubism as well as an increase of nihilism and a general return to the principals of the enlightenment. art movement and the ... read more
- Justice: A Radical, Prophetic Call to the Academy and the PewThe loud voice of a spirit led, Jamaican raised professor filled the small auditorium this evening as Dr. Pedrito Maynard-Reid gave an invigorating and lively call to academia (WWU specifically) and the Pew (the Adventist Church primarily). Dr. Maynard-Reid hearkened back to the old days of the Adventist church and ... read more
- Anchor – Radio, reinventedI have recently come across a media production/consumption app called Anchor. The app can be explained beautifully by the tagline of the application, “Anchor – Radio, reinvented”. Anchor provides a platform for people to record their own voice or the sound around them and upload it to their channel. This creates ... read more
- Building a PCBackground A few years ago I had a strange notion that I wanted to build myself a computer. I work with computers a lot day to day and I have come to understand a fair deal about them, but I was naively unaware of what lay ahead. The different aspects ... read more